“According to the World Health Organisation, the number of people suffering from depression has increased by over 18% between the year 2005 and 2015.”
Depression is the largest cause of disability worldwide. Today on World Health Day, we take a look at the nuances of this mental disorder and how to spot some of the early symptoms.
What is Depression?
‘Depression’ a major depressive disorder that pessimistically affects how you perceive/feel, the way you think and how you act.
Depression is also considered as an epidemic among students.
According to NCRB (National Crime Records Bureau), every hour, one student commits suicide in India.
In 2015 alone, the number of student suicides stood at 8,934.
What are the causes of depression?
- Past sexual, physical, emotional abuse
- Personal conflict with family members or loved ones
- Sadness from the death of loved ones
- Family history of depression
- Serious illness
- Failures in personal and professional life
- High levels of stress at school, college, home, office or at any other area of life
- Tendency of negative self-talk
- Lack of self-connection
- Not surrounded by optimistic, fun-loving and blissful people
“Everyday may not be good, but there’s something good in every day”
How to overcome a negative state of mind?
- Try to keep up with social activities, find ways to help others
- Do things that make you feel good and energise you
- Exercise vigorously
- Challenge your negative thinking
- Surround yourself with funny people or fun making activities
- Listen to dance numbers, motivational music/songs
- Go to sleep
- Watch a humorous movie or program like Mr Beans, Charlie Chaplin etc, this will give a halt to your negative momentum
- Start doing positive self-talk- this may take your conscious effort, but believe us, it is worth doing.
- Engage yourself in the activities which you really like to do, it may be having a pet, gardening, painting, singing, running a marathon or any other- this will defocus your mind from the set negative pattern and engage it towards a new goal and aspiration.
Can you yourself get rid of stress?
When you’re in a state of depression then you know that you’re thinking or focusing on all the negative things in life and by doing so you’re actually using the energy of your own mind.
So here you need just a little bit of conscious effort.
Direct your thoughts consciously, towards the good and positive aspects of your life and work. Find just one good thought.
Find just one good thought and we guarantee with just one good thought you will into a loop of other good thoughts.
It’s just like guarding your thoughts, observing your own self.
Tame your brain, here is how you can do it
This World Health Day, we took a pledge to fight with Depression, if you see any person, your friend, parent, schools your family member who is suffering from this depressive disorder take them to counselor, life coach talk to them, spend time with them, don’t live them alone, motivate them, school must have the counseling session on depression. This is how we will conquer the situation.
Come back tomorrow to learn more about depression and mental illness, how to fight with them.